Complaints Procedure

As the New Zealand Association of Orthodontists (NZAO) is a small organisation we do not have a specific body to handle complaints. All members of the NZAO are members of the New Zealand Dental Association (NZDA) and therefore we utilise their expertise when handling complaints.

What to do if you have concerns about the orthodontic treatment you have received

Most importantly contact the orthodontic practice and talk to your orthodontist first. If you have concerns about any aspect of your treatment, you should always discuss the issue directly with your orthodontist. You will be provided with an estimate of cost and treatment time before treatment begins, and you should receive a detailed account for all costs.

If you do not achieve a satisfactory outcome from your discussion with your orthodontist and wish to make a formal complaint about aspects of your treatment the following options are open to you:

  • Contact the Dental Association at who may be able to assist you as they have a complimentary complaints resolution service for NZDA members.
  • Alternatively, you do have the option to raise the issue with the Health and Disability Commissioner (

You also have the following avenues available to you as a consumer: